Saturday, August 30, 2008

Where has chilvary gone?

My mom and I drove out to east Texas to visit my grandparents. On the way home we had a flat. I mean my tired was shredded to bits. So starts the beginning of the rest of a miserable day. We noticed the tire pretty much right away. I mean how can you miss the sound of your rim hitting the asphalt right? So we pulled into a parking lot and proceeded to search for the doughnut tire. After pulling out the manual we found out where it was and to make a long story short, while my mom walked to find some help I pulled the tire out and got the jack ready. Well the jack turned out to be practially nothing, and it required turning a screw about a billion times to get it up and then of course back down. While I am very obviously changing a flat and its pretty obvious by the 2 strollers, diaper bags, and so on that I have kids, car after car passes me by. One was even as kind as to slow down and gawk at me. Not a single person offered to help me. Not one. Not even so much as a "hey can I give someone a call for you?". Luckily my mother managed to find help. Odly enough in the form of a woman. She looked like she had changed more than one tire in her life, and best of all she had a floor jack in her trunk! So she takes off the old tire, which neither my mother nor I had the body weight to get loose. Now mind you I do have all three of my children in the car, and THANK GOD I could leave the AC on, but at this point Luke was getting quite peeved over the fact that doors kept being opened and shut. Anyways, right as the lady gets the old tire off a man from the same office as her comes over to help and finishes the job. Awesome. The whole thing took about 30 min. Not so bad. So now we start the journey to the nearest Walmart to have a new tire put on. On the way we stop to feed Luke and as I opened the hatch the darn tire falls out. So this thing weighs quite abit and on top of it I am 3 weeks post c-section, and like a dummy rather than wait on mom to get out of the store I proceeded to put the tire back. All the while a man pumping his gas is just steadily staring at me, once again with no offer to help. I finally get the darn thing back in and we arrive at Walmart only to find out that they dont carry that tire. So he checks a few other Walmarts and still nothing. On the way home I call a few more and again nothing. All of the smaller tire places are closed for the weekend so we resign to the fact that I am going to have to wait until Tuesday. We get almost home when I see that the Forney NTB is open and after asking we find out that they do carry the tire!! That darn thing cost me $150!!!!

So the moral of the story, dont get a flat tire during Labor Day weekend and Dont expect help if you do!

On a side note, Brandies husband so sweetly was willing to drive all the way out to help us (my husband was in a test and I didnt even get ahold of him until we were almost home).

3 comments:

Breanne said...

aw - thats so weird that no one could even ask for help. . .

Brandie said...

Jason is going to be ticked off when he reads this and that no one offered to help! He definitley has some chivalry in him, he stops to help EVERYONE, even men he'll ask if they need help. How sad that the world has come to not caring and helping others in need.

julie said...

Those Gautreaux's... aren't they great! Sorry about your horrible experience! You shuld be at home in bed! Not changing a flat! - 3 weeks after surgery - girl, what are we gonna do with you?!