Thursday, August 14, 2008

Baby Luke

I finally remembered my password (I blame it on those oh so good pain killers) and have pictures to share! So here is our birth story:


Wednesday August 6th after much encouragement from my friends at work I went to the doctors office to see about contractions coming pretty close together. I wasn't showing any signs of progressing into labor in his office but he sent me to L&D triage to get the first in a set of two steroid shots. While I was there they routinely admitted me and hooked me up to monitors. Turns out I was contracting as fast at 1 minute apart! After about 2 hours of that I was given Terbutaline (muscle relaxer to stop contractions) and since things calmed down I was sent home with orders to keep it easy and to take oral terb as needed. I went back in on Thurday to get the second shot and didnt realize until I got there that my daughter had taken my Rx out of my purse, so I saw the doctor and he told me just to hold on a few more days. I made it until Monday before I had to go back because the terb just wasnt doing anything. When the doctor checked me he said that I was still closed but that Luke's head was very low. He went ahead and sent me over to triage again to be monitored. Again I was contracting very fast, up to once every 2 minutes. I got the first Terb injection and it helped for about 20 min and they were back. I did two more terbs and the second steroid before they admitted me in for 24 hour observation. During that time I started getting hard contractions, efacing and Luke dropped even further down. When my doctor came in he decided that since my contractions were coming so hard and so fast that it was better to go ahead and do a c-section to prevent a uterine rupture. I had hoped to avoid a c-section but considering what was going on I decided to go ahead.

So I call Karl and tell him that they are going to do the c-section in about 20 min and that he needed to drive up to the hospital(about 15 min from where he was). The nurse comes in to tell me that I am set up for 2pm. This gives Karl plenty of time to get up to the hospital (almost an hour). After about 45 minutes I called Karl because I was afraid he wasnt going to make it. Turns out that he stopped at McDonalds and ate there on his way to the hospital!! I am about to give birth and he stops at McDonalds! I can laugh about it now but it sure didnt do much for me at the time.

Back to Luke. I am taken back for the c-section and it goes as planned. Luke had a moment where he needed to be stimulated to breathe but after a few seconds was screaming in full protest. I was pretty drugged so only have vague memories of what happened after they showed him to me.

Luke Andres
Born August 12th 2008
4lbs 14 oz and 18in

He will be in the NICU, he is trying to nurse but until he can eat all of his feeds by himself. In the mean time I am pumping. We should have him home early next week!

1 comment: