Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Living Like the Amish

I have been reading these great books by Beverly Lewis. Lewis writes about life within Amish communities, with which she had close contact with having lived in Pensylvania. Anyways, while Brandie and I were enjoying a few minutes of childlessness(while they played on the indoor playground at chick-a-lay) we were chatting about how freeing it would be to be Amish. I mean imagine no pressures of fitting in, or keeping up with the Jones'. No big screen TVs taking up family time or filling my kids heads with violence, no chemical laden food, no washing machine, diswasher, indoor plumbing...

Ok, so maybe I would pick and choose which aspects I would live, but I think that something about it would be so free.

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Anna, I have thought about this so many times. While people want to look down on the way they live, I do find it rather freeing and wish there were certain aspects of our lives that could be the same way.

jennifer said...

Only if I could pick which things to keep. Indoor plumbing comes to mind...

Brandie said...

No way. I'd give it all up! Remember those books we were reading about the power wiping out everything by Terri Blackstock? I'd welcome that opportunity; and although hard, it would be so freeing and such a blessing in disguise.

julie said...

I think so too. And all the things we think make our lives easier actually seem to be what add stress to our lives. While it would be a HUGE adjustment, I kind of wish we more like that.

Thosetwogirls said...

Nope Brandie! I am with Jennifer. I need my indoor plumbing or at least a flushable outhouse! No chamber pots for me!